The Do’s and Don’ts of High-Waisted Jeans
The last time I wore “mom jeans” in the ’90’s, I wasn’t a mom, but a young teenager! LOL. And actually made fun of moms who wore “mom jeans” because no one seemed to know how to properly style these above-the-waist jeans. So now, mom jeans or high-waisted jeans have re-emerged as one of the the hottest style trends. I love seeing my teenage daughter style her high-waisted jeans with the cutest tops and sweaters. So, when I picked up a pair of my own high-waisted jeans, she thought that was pretty cool of me, and of course gave me some trend tips! Gosh, I love having a teenager! Of course she helped me with the How to Wear High-Waisted Jeans post.
Here are a few Do’s and Don’ts on how to wear high-waisted jeans, and why you need a pair this year!
How to Wear High-Waisted Jeans–The DO’s
- Pair your high-waisted jeans with a great crop top that meets your jeans at the waist. I love this fuzzy sweater that is cropped right at the waist.
- If you have a longer shirt, tuck it into the jeans in the front or around the whole waist for a trendy look. You can check out how I styled high-waisted jeans by tucking my shirt in.
- Play around with your shoes to accentuate leg length. Since the jeans go up so high, show off a little ankle to break up the clothes. Consider wearing low-cut socks with your tennis shoes or heels.
- A belt is a great way to lengthen the legs and add to the waist line. I styled these same high waisted jeans with a belt.
- Pair high-waisted jeans with a blazer or crop jacket to add layers to the look.
- Consider wearing a body suit or form fitting shirt with your jeans, then throw on a kimono over it!
How to Wear High-Waisted Jeans–The DON’TS
- Don’t wear your high-waisted jeans with a long, baggy shirt or sweater. It defeats the style of the jeans, and could make you look frumpy depending on the leg style.
- Make sure you get the right size of high-waisted jeans so curvy can be properly exposed. Too tight of high-waisted jeans could accentuate a lower fat pouch below the waist line resulting in an unflattering look.
- Unless you are below the age of 30, let’s avoid wearing crop tops/midriff tops with your high-waisted jeans. But maybe that is just my own opinion!
- High-waisted jeans with lots of holes are very common but I’d avoid going too crazy on the holes where is exposes so much skin.
I love wearing high waisted jeans but there are definitely do’s and don’ts with them! These are great tips and those jeans look great on you!
Renee || Getting Fit Fab says
Great list! I am just becoming a fan of high waisted jeans! Usually I’ve stayed away but finally found a pair I love !
High-waisted jeans are my favorite! Love these do’s and don’ts.
these are such great tips and i LOVE this white jacket. lookin good, gf
Love this post! The dos and donts are all great! What a very helpful post.
Stephanie Whitman says
I don’t think I could ever go back to low-rise jeans. I absolutely love high-waisted pants and how they flatter and fit. They’re so comfortable and cute. And I’ll admit, I totally wear them with oversized sweaters ALL.THE.TIME. So I guess it just depends on how you style that look for it to work 😉
Really? Maybe it’s just my body frame? Love it!
I love high waisted jeans so much!! There are so many awesome ways to rock these jeans!!
cute & little
Laura Leigh says
LOVE high-waisted jeans! They are the absolute best!
xo Laura Leigh
High waisted jeans are amazing! i love this do and don’t list. It’s so true! Such great styling ideas too!
Anna English says
High waisted is the only way to go for me! Love these.